Sunday, July 11, 2010

Brain Power

The article about Cognitive Fitness may have a scientific approach and honestly speaking, I’m not fond of reading scientific texts. Reading the article reminded me of my high school days when I studied The Nervous System. Surprisingly, I enjoyed reading the article and learned a lot from it. It’s really different and helpful especially now that I’m still in the middle of nowhere; no work yet and still a student. With the Cognitive Fitness article, I learned some tips on how I can do well as I step into the real world. So here are the five things that I learned from the article:

Learning is not only by experience.
The most common notion of learning is that people learn through experience. But after reading the article, I realized that observation can also bring new knowledge to our system. And I can say that teachers justify learning through observation. For example, a teacher teaches Geometry to the students and demonstrates how to solve problems by explaining the lesson step by step. Afterwards, she will give an exercise to the students to test if they understood what she taught. In effect, the students will answer the quiz just like what the teacher explained to them.

Adults need to play too. Playing for kids is a lot fun because it enables them to imagine and discover things beyond ordinary. When I was a kid, I loved to play with my cousins. Playing is a good way to interact with others and it was also challenging because it exercised my abilities to be inventive when it comes to strategies for challenging games like patintero and creative in games like bahay-bahayan. As for adults, they have a different playground because their games have something to do with fields of expertise and in building good relationships with the people in their workplace through seminars, workshops, or team building activities.

It’s okay to take risks. This is something that struck me especially the words “you must have a stake in the game you play if you are to really engage in it.” These words made me realize that I have to take a big leap from my comfort zone. I’m an only child and my parents are very protective of me. There are some things that I haven’t done yet on my own but I am eager to learn and take a risk because in taking a risk, I can determine the things that I can and not do.

Too much of something is not good. Too much stake brings about stress which is not a good thing. During my college days, my stress level was at its peak when I was doing my thesis. I was so into the game that I barely had time to relax. I guess I was too hard on myself that there was a time that I broke down because I was so stressed, tired, and desperate to finish my thesis. I am a self-confessed ambitious person; I sometimes push myself too hard to the point that I want everything to be perfect. So now I learned my lesson: I should not push myself to something that is beyond my limits.

Learning makes one better.
According to the article, when a person learns more, he/she becomes better at learning and it enhances the brain’s performance. I love learning new things because it broadens my knowledge. I love to read books and watch informative and educational TV shows on the Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and History Channel. I like solving puzzles and I also have a habit of researching topics that caught my interest or those that I am curious about. I have a yearning to learn new things because I know that knowledge and education are things that no one can ever take away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment